Here is a summary of frequently asked questions regarding the Taiwan Employment Gold Card program, the application process, and other general questions regarding life in Taiwan and more.

Loading filter
No filtered FAQ found

Launched in 2018, The Taiwan Employment Gold Card is a combined visa, work permit, and residence permit. The card gives you the right to stay and work in Taiwan for 1 to 3 years, and you can apply online without sponsorship. It comes with open-work rights, so you can work for any (or multiple) companies in Taiwan or start your own business.

For More info What is the Taiwan Gold Card?

To reset your password, login to the Foreign Professionals Online Application Platform and click “Forget Password?”

To inquire about your account number, please write to the National Immigration Agency at and provide a copy of your Gold Card or passport.

Requests for information changes must be made through the Online Application Portal.

Please log into the Online Application Portal , go to the Application Menu –> Information Change of Employment Gold Card.

The following information can be updated online:

  1. Chinese/English Name (NTD500 fee)
  2. Gender (NTD500 fee)
  3. Passport Number (Free)
  4. Collection Location (Free)
  5. Resident Address (Free; Must provide documents such as electricity bills or rental agreement)
  6. Email (Free; Please contact NIA for assistance)

NIA’s contact email:

Please note that according to Article 6 of the Fee-Charging Standards for Employment Gold Cards, Employment Pass Cards and Entrepreneur Visas to Fee-Charging Standards for Employment Gold Cards, Employment Pass Cards and Entrepreneur Visas", Hong Kong/ Macau applicants must pay NT$2,600 if they wish to change their Name or Gender.

It takes approximately 1-2 weeks for the National Immigration Agency (NIA) to review your application. Afterwards, you will be able to download the Resident Authorization Certificate to enter Taiwan. However, please note that you must pick up your Gold Card in Taiwan in advance if you are going to apply for an extension overseas.

If you need to update any personal information or if your card is stolen, lost or damaged, please file a report using the Foreign Professionals Online Application Platform within 30 days from its occurrence.

Please follow these instructions to update information on your Gold Card.

change information_eng

Holders of Employment Gold Card enjoy the following rights and interests:

  1. The card is an open-end work permit issued to employment-seeking individuals that requires neither pre-confirmed hiring by or application through any employer.

  2. Income tax benefits in terms of income tax deduction and exemption according to Article 9 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals.

  3. The maximum duration of stay of visiting lineal ascendants of the card holder is expanded to 1 year.  According to Article 13 of the Act for the Recruitment and Employment of Foreign Professionals, lineal ascendants of a card holder may apply for a multiple-entry visitor visa valid for one year for staying up to six months per entry.  The application should be made to the Ministry of Foreign Affairs or one of its overseas missions.  The visa may be extended upon expiration for 1-year-maximum duration of stay in each extension.

  4. The spouse and minor children of the Employment Gold Card holders are eligible for residence in Taiwan.

  5. For the holders of Employment Gold Card who are employed in professional work in Taiwan, their spouse, minor children, and adult children who are unable to live independently due to physical or mental disability, having obtained documentary proof of residence, will no longer be subject to a 6-month wait for inclusion in NHI coverage.

Yes, you can apply from anywhere, even within Taiwan. If you have an ARC or are on a Tourist Visa, you can still apply. The Gold Card will just replace your ARC/Tourist Visa.

Please log into the Foreign Professionals Online Application Platform and update your details within 30 days of moving. Address changes are free.

Please follow the steps below:

  1. Log into the [Foreign Professionals Online Application Platform] and select Information change of Employment Gold Card

  2. Type in your address (must be written in Traditional Chinese). Please select the city and district from the drop-down menu, and type in the rest of your address in Chinese (do not type in the city and district).

  3. Upload proof of address (i.e., proof of accommodation, lease contract, or water/electricity bill), as well as additional documents (if needed).

  4. Receive an automated email stating “Successful submission, review pending”

  5. It takes approximately 1-2 weeks for the National Immigration Agency (NIA) to review your application. Please keep an eye on your application status.

  6. When you receive an email from the NIA informing you that “Your Card is Ready to Collect”, bring your passport, current Gold Card, and electronic payment receipt to the NIA to claim your new Gold Card.

If you have moved house and not made an address change online within 30 days, the NIA will impose a fine of NT$2,000 to NT$10,000. The actual amount of the fine is determined based on the number of violations. For the first offense, a fine of NT$2,000 will be imposed, NT$5,000 for the second offense, and so on. If the Gold Card application is returned by the NIA due to the aforementioned penalty, the applicant should bring their passport, Employment Gold Card/Alien Residence Certificate, and lease agreement to the NIA to pay the fine. After uploading the payment receipt on the Foreign Professionals Online Application Platform, the review process will continue.

The term “foreign special professional” refers to a foreign professional who engages in professional work in the R.O.C. and has special expertise needed by the R.O.C. in science & technology, economy, education, culture, arts, sports, and other fields as announced by the central competent authority. The “professional work” mentioned above refers to work set forth in Subparagraphs 1 to 6 of Paragraph 1, Article 46 of the Employment Services Act, or possessing specialized knowledge or skill and approved by the central competent authority in consultation with the Ministry of Education as a teacher of non-academic classes in a short-term tutorial school registered in accordance with the Supplementary Education Act.

Gold Card comes with open work rights, so you may work for any (or multiple) company in Taiwan or start your own business.

The Employment Gold Card includes an open work permit that allows the holder to engage in all white-collar jobs in Taiwan. However, if the profession they engage in is not under the original Field of application, the individual’s tax concessions will be affected.

If you want to apply for a New UI No. for foreign nationals, please check the “Submission for Change of New UI No. Only” in the “Information Change of Employment Gold Card” section of the online application portal and upload a photo of your Gold Card to apply.

For all other Gold Card related changes, such as updating your resident address and other information or applying for a new Gold Card, after the payment is submitted and approved, if you still have an old ID number, the system will automatically give you a New UI No. for foreign nationals.

If you’ve applied for an Employment Gold Card in 2021, the UI No. will be changed to a New UI No. (one English letter plus nine digits), so if the ARC is an old-style UI No (two English letters plus eight digits), the Employment Gold Card application will be changed to a New UI No.

For more information, please refer to the NIA’s website .

47,971 NTD is the required minimum salary for specialized or technical personnel in order to apply for a work permit, but this does not include the Employment Gold Card. However, relevant working conditions must still comply with the Labor Standards Act for all foreigners who work in Taiwan.

Please log into the Online Application Portal , go to the Application Menu –> Replace Lost, Stolen or Damaged Employment Gold Card.

Follow the directions, upload the Declaration Letter signed with your name and date, and complete the following steps. After waiting about 2 weeks for the National Immigration Agency’s review, you will be able to pick up your new Gold Card at your designated National Immigration Agency Service Center. If you have lost your Gold Card overseas, you may download the Resident Authorization Certificate from the Online Application Portal and use it to enter Taiwan.

Please follow the instructions below to replace your Gold Card.

Yes, as a Gold Card holder you can be self-employed. Having the Gold Card allows you to work for an employer, set up a company in Taiwan, or be self-employed in Taiwan or abroad.

Yes, this card is perfect for you, since it contains an open work permit that allows you to work for any employer.

You may simply find a new job. Your Gold Card is not sponsored by your employer and will not be affected by a change of job.

There are no requirements. However, you must stay for more than 183 days per year in order to be eligible for many benefits such as: tax resident treatment and a pathway to permanent residence.

You do not need to travel to Taiwan right away. Some applicants take months to prepare for their arrival. When your application is officially approved, you will receive an email from the application portal.

Your cards’ validity can start before you enter Taiwan or pick up your card. Keep this in mind when planning your move to Taiwan.

The NIA has previously provided on-record assurances that there’s no issue here. You must ensure consecutive residence of five years to be eligible - no time gap between your employment ARC and your Gold Card.

Yes, as a Gold Card holder, your parents and grandparents are eligible to apply for a 1 year multi-entry visa for a maximum stay of six months at a time. This visa can be extended in Taiwan to allow for a maximum stay of one year at a time. Contact your nearest Taiwan diplomatic post or the Bureau of Consular Affairs to apply.

Please check the National Immigration Agency’s Validation of Electronic Alien Resident Certificate (ARC) website .

You can search with both the old and new UI number. If the UI number on your Gold Card has been changed, please use the new UI number to check. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact Mr. Huang from the Information Section of the NIA at (02)2388-9393#2463.

You can provide one of the following documents as proof of your current residence:

  1. House owner consent statement and a photocopy of the ownership certificate of the house
  2. House owner consent statement and a photocopy of the owner’s ID. (Front/back)
  3. Any document of proof that you are currently residing at the location.

If you want to provide the address of the hotel as your residence address, you must ask the operator to provide the accommodation certificate for at least half a year of stay.

If you are not able to provide a permanent address, it won’t be an issue, you can update your address on the application platform within 30 days of moving into your new residence.

  1. The Employment Gold Card is a 4-in-1 certificate that includes a work permit, residence visa, Alien Resident Certificate, and reentry permit; any change in the card holder’s nationality will invalidate the Employment Gold Card. In the event of the card holder’s change in nationality, they must reapply with their new nationality; once the case has been approved, the existing Employment Gold Card must be cancelled. An Employment Gold Card with the new nationality and existing ID number will be issued but the applicant’s rights for permanent residency will remain unaffected as the period of stay for both cards will be taken into consideration.
  2. The Employment Gold Card holder’s dependents are not required to reapply for residence permits.
  3. When entering Taiwan, the Employment Gold Card holder must provide a passport with the corresponding nationality for inspection; residence entry will be prohibited if the nationality of the original Employment Gold Card has been lost.

Latest articles

August 10th 2023
AI Is Knocking on the Door: 5 reminders about …

AI Is Knocking on the Door: 5 reminders about ChatGPT-generated Employment Agreement Note: if you are not yet familiar …

June 15th 2023
Taiwan is Asia's Best Kept Secret

Taiwan is Asia’s Best Kept Secret We want to share how you can apply for Taiwan Gold Card through the experiences …

May 30th 2023
How to Survive Taiwan’s Hot and Humid Summers

How to Survive Taiwan’s Hot and Humid Summers While it is a paradise for the most part, many agree that one of the …

How to apply

Are you convinced that the Taiwan Employment Gold Card will be your personal next step? Amazing - Start with your application now...